Friday, October 16, 2009

ER Visit

Well CJ had a visit to the ER last night. Poor kid. We were at the school for a PTO meeting and the kids were out in the hallway playing and had been for about 45 minutes when I hear this horrid screaming. I knew right away that it was CJ. He had been running in the hallway and fell. He came walking into the teachers lounge where we were having the meeting and I could see the blood down his arm where he had wiped his chin and so I think that freaked him out as well seeing the blood. I picked him up and took him to the bathroom to clean him up and try to get him to calm down so I could see the damage but knew it couldn't be good. One of the mom's there is a first responder so she came in and took a look at it also but there was no doubt he needed stitches because you could see that fatty tissue that is under the skin.
Well as you can imagine the ER was swamped and I was so paranoid about the germs because there were several people that were wearing masks. We sat in the waiting room for about 2 1/2 hrs before finally going back. The doc as well as the nurses were kinda rude to top things off. Absolutely no bedside manners. The nurse didn't explain anything about what was going to happen she just brought everything in and got ready. We (the nurse and I) of course had to hold him down to get the stitches in. It was horrible he was screaming the whole time. The doc came in and out never saying even boo to us. Didn't even introduce himself thats how bad it was. I guess we are kinda spoiled with the care we get from Childrens Mercy.
Well needless to say he ended up with 3 stitches and calmed down rather quickly when it was all over. As we were waiting for the nurse to come back in to give us our instructions CJ made the comment that he wished it would have happened to his sister instead of him. I told him that wasn't a very nice thing to say. And he said I know but it was really scary. :( I had to laugh a little but felt so sorry for him that he had to go through that. We did talk later though and I asked him if it hurt when the doc was fixing his ouchie and he said no so that made me feel a little better that the screams were fear and not pain.

No comments: